Hi there friends! It’s been a while since I opened up and shared some personal things about myself and since there are many new faces to my blog I thought this would be a great time to get reacquainted. I have written a few of these before so I will try not to be redundant. So…here are 1o things you never probably would have never guessed about me….
- I am not a big shopper. You may think this is strange being in home design but yeah, I don’t much care for shopping. I get excited to go for a few hours and hit 2-3 stores but then I am done and can’t go back for a while. I am definitely not a mall person and would always prefer to go alone. Does that make me weird?
- For me exercise=empowerment. Growing up I never considered myself much of an athlete. I did play soccer for many years but was never the competitive type or ever felt coordinated for that matter. I stayed active through my 20’s & 30’s and loved being outdoors but never really pushed myself hard. After becoming a mother myself I lived in fear of having the same fate as my mom and sister, as they both passed away young. My mom was 56 when she passed away from lung failure and my sister Jackie was 48 when she suddenly passed away from complications of diabetes. It was a few years after Jackie passed away, one day while on a walk I realized that I could chose strength over fear. That was the turning point for me, I pushed myself further and further with each day, month and year that went by. The realization that strengthen myself physically also made me feel empowered in every facet of my life. I run about 6-8 miles a week and cross train 2x a week with my amazing trainer & friend Kim. I also just joined My Peak Challenge because I wanted to set further goals for myself and this seemed like a great way to do that on my own. They give 50% of it’s membership fees to charity, that is a HUGE reason I joined. My goal for this year, oh gosh do I dare put it out there? Is to run a 10k.
- I wear Invisalign. One morning about 5 years ago while scrolling Instagram I found this incredibly honest post by another blogger. In a nutshell, she said if you aren’t happy with something about yourself or in your life, then change it! Basically saying that you are important too. I was a mommy of 2, felt exhausted and poured every ounce of myself into my family at that time. I thought that was the way to be the best mom. To sacrifice myself and my needs in order to be there 100% for them. Wow, listening to those words while I write them seems to foreign to me now. Since then I realize if I don’t take care of me then I can’t be the best person to them. What that blogger wrote stayed with me. So….2 years ago I decided to go for it and finally get Invisalign. It wasn’t cheap and that held me back for a long time. As I will talk more about hitting 40 below, it opened my eyes to valuing myself more and that led to me finally taking the plunge. My teeth weren’t awful by any means but I never had braces and they bothered me. I am almost done and couldn’t be happier!!!!
- Someday I would like to write a book . I am not saying no to a decorating book but it’s more a creative non-fiction I am thinking. It’s really important to put goals out there into the world and this is something I have been seriously pondering for a while and have even begin sifting through the layers.
- I have a love/hate relationship with social media. I love it because I get to connect with all of you. I hate it (I know that is a strong word) because it changes how I view myself. And I know I am not the only one. That is troubling to me, that people might see something I post and feel bad, maybe about their house, their lives or themselves. Please know, that is NEVER my intention! It’s a real thing and I am trying to be conscious of this when I post. I want to be as honest, real and kind as I can possibly be.
- I believe gratitude is the birthplace of happiness. And that the energy you put out in the world always comes back to you. I try to instill this in my boys and do talk about it often on the blog. Some days are better than others but I always start my day with gratitude. I take Denver for a walk each morning and watch the sunrise over the bay, I listen to the incredible sounds of nature & it awakens my soul to all that is good. On a side note, I am reading Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown. She has changed everything for me.
- Any kind of red hot candies are my nemesis. I eat healthy and make good, clean choices most of the time but man, sometimes those red, hot candies get the best of me. I am talking Red Hots and Hot Tamales specifically. It’s bad, I know!
- I consider my dad one of my best friends. We have been through a lot with my dad. I lived with him when my mom and sister passed away and thank God I was. The pain he went through was raw, real and beyond any kind of difficult I had even known, at times unbearable to see. I would hear him crying through the walls, especially at night when all was quiet. He is the kindest of people with an enormous heart and generous soul. He makes it easy to love him. We talk about everything and he has a great perspective on life.
- I love being in my 40’s. There is a certain wisdom and ownership of one self that doesn’t really come until you hit your 40’s. I spent a lot of years trying to live up to others expectations. When I hit this time in my life, that didn’t seem as important as how I saw myself. It can be a very liberating time, at least that has been my experience. The aging part, I plan of doing it as gracefully as I can.
- My house is always in transition. And never really done for that matter. But, that is what makes it fun. Basically, it’s far from perfect, every day of the week:).
Oh and I am Gluten Free, but I think you all knew that, if not you can read about why HERE. I also drink a glass of water every morning when I wake up before I drink coffee. I guess that makes 12, oops:)!
I love this saying….
If you have any questions please feel free to ask, you can leave under comments or email me at email@example.com
In a nutshell, this is who I am. You can read more “about me” HERE, HERE and HERE. Thank you for continuing to take this fun journey with me! I have lots of great ideas in store this year, so stay tuned! This week I am painting my living room, wish me luck!
Have a happy day!